BPS Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy
- BPS Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy
- BPS Child-on-Child Abuse & Sexual Violence/Harassment Policy
Key & Statutory Safeguarding Documents
- Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Between Children in Schools and Colleges - DfE
- Keeping Children Safe in Education - DfE
- Working Together to Safeguard Children - DfE
- Effective Family Resilience (every child in Surrey matters) - Surrey
- Protecting Children and Young People in Sport - Active Surrey
- Harmful Behaviour in Young People and Children - Parents Protect - DFE
Concerned that someone you know may be at risk of being drawn into terrorism?
Surrey is a low risk county for terrorist activity, but we still need to be alert to tensions and extremist groups in our communities. If you are a member of the public who is concerned that someone you know may be at risk of being drawn into terrorism, you have several options:
- Contact Surrey Police by dialling 101
- Report your concerns anonymously to Crime Stoppers 0800 555 111
- Call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321
- If it's an emergency, always dial 999
- A 'Prevent' referral form can be found here.
Byfleet Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSL)
- Cheryl Meyrick - Designated Safeguarding Lead
- Richard Bowman - Deputy Safeguarding Lead
- Esther Sharkey-Yun - Deputy Safeguarding Lead
- Janet Stainer - Link Safeguarding Governor
- John Xinos Dangerfield - Chair of Governor
A copy of our Safeguarding & Child Protection Policy 2023/24 can be viewed here.
If there are Child Protection concerns then Surrey Children’s Single Point of Access (C-SPA) should be contacted:
Phone: 0300 470 9100 (Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm)
Out of hours phone: 01483 517898 to speak to our emergency duty team
Please complete a Surrey Children’s Services Request for Support Form (this replaces the Multi-agency referral form (MARF)
Our Safeguarding Statement
Safeguarding is EVERYONE'S responsibility! Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our children. We expect all staff, volunteers and visitors to share this commitment.
At Byfleet Primary, we have a number of policies and procedures that contribute towards our safeguarding commitment. All staff (including supply staff, volunteers and governors) must ensure that they are aware of these procedures. Our safeguarding and child protection policies can be found on our website (see below) or can be requested via the school office.
We ensure that all our staff, including governors, attend regular safeguarding training (Working Together to Safeguard Children & Keeping Children Safe in Education) and complete additional modules including CSE and the Prevent Strategy.
Our DSL and deputy DSL have undertaken the following training:
- DSL Refresher Course (valid for 2 years)
- Surrey Module 1 & 2 Safeguarding Training (Olive)
- Brook Sexualised Behaviour Traffic Light training
- Safer Recruitment
- NSPCC Graded Care Profile 2
- NSPCC Keeping Children Safe Online
- Safer Recruitment Training
All our staff have a DBS check prior to working at our school, including volunteers. All visitors to school will need to sign in using our inventry system acknowledging to abide by our practices below:
- Entry and exit of our school must be through the main reception door only
- A visitors badge must be worn at all times
- Entry to classrooms must be by invitation only
- Recording devices (cameras, video recorders, IPads etc) must only be used where permission has been granted by the Head teacher
Sometimes we may need to share information and work in partnership with other agencies, when there are concerns about a child's welfare. We will ensure that our concerns about our pupils are discussed with parents/carers first, unless we have been advised otherwise.
If your concerns relate to the actions or behaviour of a member of staff (which could suggest that she/he is unsuitable to work with children) then you should report this to the Head teacher. If the concern related to the Head teacher then please contact the Chair of Governors who will consider what action to take.
Emergency Contact for Designated Safeguarding Lead (Cheryl Meyrick) out of hours:
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com